Saturday, April 7, 2018

The A, “Be”, C’s to Achieving Success as a Woman in a Male Dominated Environment


As James Brown says, “It’s a Man’s Man’s Man’s World,”, or at least manufacturing facilities are. I am the buyer for a highway safety equipment manufacturing company and I am physically located at one of the manufacturing facilities. I’m surrounded by steel, steel and more steel and men! Let me just say that I never would have pictured myself in this environment. I am 100% girly girl, so it has been challenging. But it’s a challenge I took on head first. I’ve had to learn to adapt and well, actually, I’m still learning. If you’re a woman working at a manufacturing facility, here are some things that might help you fit in.
1.      Be yourself. I think the men actually appreciate having a woman to joke around with. There is no need to try to act like a guy. There are plenty of those around!
2.      Be competent. Nothing gains respect quicker than showing that you know how to do your job well.
3.      Be physically fit. This one is not a deal breaker, but I’ve found that it’s important to be able to go out into the shop and walk the plant without getting out of breath. The guys are out there all the time, so it shows that you can keep up with them.
4.      Be a women’s warrior. Support the other women that you work with. Don’t gossip about them. After all, you’re all in the same boat.
5.      Be strong. By this I mean emotionally and mentally. Men can sometimes make comments that are not intended to hurt, but do. So don’t take things personally.

3 comments:

  1. You are definitely in a tough environment on a daily basis. As long as they know you are competent in your job then you should earn their respect easily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been difficult and it took awhile, but yes, I do feel like they respect me at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list! It's hard to work in a man's world sometimes but I have always said I'd rather this than work around 1000 females :) #drama hahahaha

    ReplyDelete