Sunday, April 29, 2018

Perspective: Corporate vs Individual Manufacturing Facility

Hey guys! Sorry it's been a while since I've posted anything! Life has kept me extremely busy lately! I started a new job,  moved and am finishing my last class for my bachelor's degree. Whew! I know you're all busy too, so I'm sure you understand.

As I said, I started a new job two weeks ago. This is only my second full time job as a buyer and really in the corporate or manufacturing world. I was somewhat surprised to find out that many of the challenges I faced at my old job are the exact same ones that the purchasing group is facing at my new job. One thing that really stands out to me and that I chose to address in one of my podcasts is the perspective of the many employees. I was quickly initiated into every area of the facility I'm working out of by being sent to meetings with all departments and going on Gemba walks. If you're not in manufacturing, a Gemba walk is a walk through the plant to stop at specific locations, check their boards that have key information and hear from the leads in those areas. All key management as well as production schedulers and purchasing participate in this so that we can be made aware of any issues that we need to address and stay tuned in with what's actually going on out on the shop floor. Anyway, I have quickly become familiar with the different teams and how they interact, which has given me a good look into some of the issues everyone is facing. Before I even moved to the manufacturing facility at my old job, I noticed a distinct attitude or perspective difference between people at corporate and people at the plants. Corporate personnel had a big picture perspective and plant personnel were really only interested in their own daily world. I get this to an extent, but it seems to me that at least the management would have to understand and exhibit a more corporate type mindset. You know, like everything is for the good of the whole company, not just one facility. So what I found at my new job, is that it's the same way. There are many people there who are only interested in that specific facility and can't seem to see the big picture. One  person even made a comment saying something like, "We are our own entity. We like this supplier. Just because corporate doesn't, we shouldn't have to stop using them." Mind you,  this wasn't someone in purchasing. We are all on board and know that everyone should be working together.

I can see why some people would not be able to see the big picture. The employees who have no ties to corporate or who have been with the one facility since before they were bought by the big corporation. That makes sense to me. But like I said earlier, I don't understand why some of the higher up people or managers seem to have that same attitude. This applies to processes and procedures for the most part. So many people refuse to adjust their thinking, much less their actions. But you know, I don't hear any of them complaining about the increased benefits or days off. Perhaps someone needs to remind them that change comes with good and bad and we have to accept all of it, or move on.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. What do you think?: Oh, by the way, I have some podcasts out there under "The Pink Hard Hat" as well. I introduced myself a little more and started at the beginning of my career, which was only 7 short years ago. Take a listen and shout back!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Laura, I love your topics! I have been working in an office in the construction field for 10 years now and it has really grown on me! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete